Fetching directories inclusive subdirectories on HTTP server via fetch or othe FreeBSD-own tools?

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Wed Apr 1 23:48:59 PDT 2009

"O. Hartmann" <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I need to fetch a whole directory tree from a public remote site.
> The top level directory and its subdirectories are accessible via
> ftp:// and http:// so I tried fetch, but fetch does only retrieve
> data on file basis and does not copy a whole directory tree
> recursively. The remote site does not offer sftp/sshd for that
> purpose.

There's at least one ftp server (wuftpd) that will do it for you
on the server end.  All you have to do is "get {dirname}.tar".
(The .tar file won't appear in the directory listing, because
it's created on the fly.)

It might be worth a try, to see if the server of interest happens
to be set up this way.