Fetching directories inclusive subdirectories on HTTP server via fetch or othe FreeBSD-own tools?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Apr 2 09:16:37 PDT 2009

O. Hartmann wrote:
 > I tried 'omi' but I find that the tool does not travers deeper into a
 > dir than level one, so subdirs seem to be left out. I will try wget,
 > although this tool would not be the first choice.

Well, omi _does_ recurse into subdirectories, but it
might fail if the FTP server has an unusual output
format, or otherwise behaves in unexpected ways.
Sometimes "-o nostat" helps to work around it.

Especially if the FTP server runs on some non-UNIX
environment and the directory output does not look
like an "ls -l", omi has trouble parsing it.  I've
seen FTP servers running on VMS or Novell Netware
that looked _really_ weird.  These are not supported
by omi, I'm afraid.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you
I didn't have C++ in mind."
        -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97