freebsd installation order

pwn pwnedomina at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:56:07 PDT 2008

Jerry McAllister escreveu:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:43:23PM +0000, pwn wrote:
>

>> immediately after the installation of FreeBSD what steps should be
>> performed by order
>> 1 - Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel
>> 2 - The Cutting Edge
>> 3 - Updating FreeBSD
>>
>> Is this the proper order?
>>

> I would say, first update FreeBSD src and rebuild.
> Then update the ports tree
> Then, if you must, configure a custom kernel - or if
> nothing is critical, just skip that.
>
> Then, install what ports you want and start running.
>
> As for cutting edge, do you mean tracking CURRENT?
> If so, if you are using it to get in on FreeBSD development, then
> do that now and daily.    If it is a server for something, then don't
> do that.  Just periodically or if some important patch comes put, pull
> in the latest security fixes with update.
>

> ////jerry

just to clarify

I would say, first update FreeBSD src and rebuild. Then update the ports tree
Re:both this task can be done using csup or cvsup and using the samples provided in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/

Then, if you must, configure a custom kernel
Re:(taking a look on hardware and editing generic for example)

As for cutting edge, do you mean tracking CURRENT?
Re:yes, but i dont want get in on FreeBSD dev team, so i guess STABLE is enought.