freebsd installation order

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:58:27 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:43:23PM +0000, pwn wrote:

> immediately after the installation of FreeBSD what steps should be
> performed by order
> 1 - Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel
> 2 - The Cutting Edge
> 3 - Updating FreeBSD
>
> Is this the proper order?

I would say, first update FreeBSD src and rebuild.
Then update the ports tree
Then, if you must, configure a custom kernel - or if
nothing is critical, just skip that.

Then, install what ports you want and start running.

As for cutting edge, do you mean tracking CURRENT?
If so, if you are using it to get in on FreeBSD development, then
do that now and daily.    If it is a server for something, then don't
do that.  Just periodically or if some important patch comes put, pull
in the latest security fixes with update.

////jerry