Can't upgrade or deinstall phpMyAdmin

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 10:05:12 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Hmmm... not entirely sure what has actually gone wrong there, but I
> suspect your /var/db/pkg directory is probably in a bit of a mess.
>  Deinstalling phpMyAdmin is simply a matter of removing almost all of
> the files under /usr/local/www/phpMyAdmin -- the only one the port
> tries to preserve is config.inc.php

Yes, I knew phpMyAdmin kept all its files in one place so replacing it
with the new version by hand was possible if all else failed but the
ports system would have still thought it had version 2 and I was rather
unsure what problems the inconsistency might create later.
.
> Can you try:
>
> ~   # pkg_delete -f phpMyAdmin-2.11.5.2

Yes, I'd already done that with the same segfault.

> If the worst comes to the worst, you can do this (which is certainly
> *not* recommended in the general case, just it happens to work for
> phpMyAdmin which is a port without other things depending on it, and
> that installs everything into one directory):
>
> ~   # cd /usr/local/www
> ~   # cp phpMyAdmin/config.inc.php /root
> ~   # rm -rf phpMyAdmin
> ~   # cd /var/db/pkg
> ~   # rm -rf phpMyAdmin-2.11.5.2
> ~   # pkgdb -F

That did the trick, thanks for the help.

> Note: there's no need to reinstall phpMyAdmin because you've upgraded
> Apache or even PHP.  phpMyAdmin is all native PHP code and identical
> on disk for whatever combination of PHP interpreter and web server
> you use.  You just need to copy the Apache config stuff into the new
> httpd.conf (ie. based on what 'pkg_info -Dx phpMyAdmin' produces).

Yes, but in this case I'd moved my web server temporarily onto another
machine while I (slowly) upgraded the hardware on this box, hence the
removal of Apache and PHP. After getting the new hardware back into
service I installed the newer versions of Apache and PHP, it was just
by chance that there was still a copy of phpMyAdmin on the system but
in view of the security vulnerability in 2.11.5.2 I thought I'd better
replace it with 3.0.0_1.

--
Mike Clarke