php5 segfault

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 9 10:00:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:53:11AM +0200, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>>> There are no options to configure in php5-pgsql.
>>>
>>> I tried to change the order or module in extensions.ini, no success so far.
>>>

>> Then my recommendation is to build PHP with DEBUG enabled (see "make
>> config"), reproduce the situation, and provide a backtrace here.
>>
> Problem solved. I put pgsql.so on top of all other modules and now there
> is no segfault. Thank you!

I thought you said you changed the order and it didn't work?  *confused*

> Although I do not understand why it has not been fixed. The same
> problem  existed two years ago, right?

What "problem" are you referring to?  The extension ordering issue?

If so: it should be obvious why it hasn't been fixed.  It doesn't appear
to affect everyone -- for example, we have never seen this problem in
the 4-5 years we've been using PHP on FreeBSD -- and the solution
doesn't really make much sense anyway.  It smells of a missing symbol
problem (e.g. libxx.so wants a symbol named "hello_bob", but the symbol
is available in libyy.so, which has to be loaded first; however, ld.so
and dlopen(3) have explicit handling for this scenario (see RTLD_NOW vs.
RTLD_LAZY), so I'm at a loss).

That said, if you feel this is a humongous issue, I highly recommend you
mail the PHP port maintainer and express your concerns, or open a PR.