Mysqldump password issue

Pietro Cerutti gahr at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 2 22:32:51 UTC 2008

Brad Mettee wrote:
| Shouldn't there be a space between -p and the password? Like this:
|
|         mysqldump -u user -p passwd --all-databases > backup.sql

~From the man page:

The password to use when connecting to the server. If you use the
short option form (-p), you cannot have a space between the option
and the password. If you omit the password value following the
- --password or -p option on the command line, you are prompted for
one.

| At 02:34 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
| Andrei Brezan wrote:
| | Hello list,
| |
| | I wanna do a
| | mysqldump -u user -ppasswd --all-databases > backup.sql
| |
| | and all I get is
| | mysqldump: No match.
| |
| | This happens either i put --all-databases or I specify any of the
| | databases. I want to do a backup as user root, that's why I use
| | all-databases opt.
| |
| | If I use the command:
| | mysqldump -u root -p --all-databases >backup.sql
| | I get the password prompt, I type the passwd and everythig works great.
| | It seems that there is a problem with -p, i've tried --password with
| | same result.
| |
| | If anyone has any ideea please let me know about it.
| | I mention that i use Freebsd 7_0 and mysql 5.0.67
|
| Same MySQL version here, but running CURRENT. Everything works fine..

| |
| | Thank you
| |
| |