How to upgrade to KDE4

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 09:18:43 PST 2008

--- On Fri, 11/7/08, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: Andrew Falanga <af300wsm at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How to upgrade to KDE4
> To: "RW" <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 9:49 AM
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:26 PM, RW
> <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 06:52:06 -0800
> > af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:
> > the only
> >> thing that updated was the meta-port (I did a
> portupgrade -r too).
> >
> > Aside from the fact that there are separate kde
> meta-ports,
> > portupgrade -r kde... updates the metaport and
> everything that depends
> > on the metaport, not everything the metaport depends
> on.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  I think I had things
> backwards.
>
> Also, as I'd like to go to KDE 4, should I do a make
> deinstall in
> kdebase, or perhaps pkg_delete for the kde packages before
> installing?
>  I know that the first respondent said the two versions
> could be run
> in tandem, and while I've got plenty of disk space for
> this, it also
> seems quite error prone.  What would be the recommended
> course?

KDE3 and KDE4 co-habitate just fine.  You'll likely need KDE3 installed for some apps which don't use KDE4 libs yet.  I am pretty sure ktorrent is what installed kde3 on my system when I upgraded recently.  There are plenty of others, though.  KDE4 installs under /usr/local/kde4, while KDE3 installs under /usr/local at this time (assuming you haven't changed port bases yourself.)  Because of this, you'll likely want to remember to add /usr/local/kde4/{bin,sbin} to your shell search paths, and remember to use kdm from KDE4 as your login manager (this tricked me at first, and I was wondering for a bit why I was still getting a KDE3 login manager until I realized that KDE4 went under /usr/local/kde4/).  I would not say that it is error prone at all.  Everything has, so far, worked out of the box just fine save a couple of KDE4 bugs I've tweaked, none of which are bad enough to prevent me from working normally in KDE4 or to make me want to dump KDE4.

- mdh