How to upgrade to KDE4

af300wsm at gmail.com af300wsm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 07:39:42 PST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008 8:24am, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:
> af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:
>

> Hi,
>

> I'm using FreeBSD 6.2-p11 (yes, I've got to update). A couple days ago I
updated my ports tree and went to update kde 3.5.6. At first I did a
portupgrade on the KDE meta-port but, ironically, the only thing that
updated was the meta-port (I did a portupgrade -r too). I should also say
that I first looked in /usr/ports/UPDATING and there weren't any particular
instructions (that I could find) for updating KDE. I opened the file in vim
and searched for "kde" and "KDE." On both searches, nothing regarding the
specific update of 3.5.x to 4.x was mentioned.

> I'm having some problems updating the kdebase package now (since the
meta-port didn't update the whole thing, I'm updating individually to
3.5.10). It's having some compile time issues, something about an
identifier not existing in a particular namespace or some-such error, I've
got to look into it further. However, since I'm going through this
loathsome process anyway, would it be advisable to just do a "deinstall" of
the kde system and cd to /usr/ports/x11/kde (I think that's where it is)
and install 4.x (if that's even how to do it)? I would really prefer to run
4.x.

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Andy
>

> The Handbook has been recently updated with instructions on installing /
running KDE4:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
>

> It is also possible to keep both versions installed (since KDE4 installs
in a different directory).

> If you decide to go along this path, I would advise you to set your PATH
so that /usr/local/kde4/bin is before /usr/local/bin (when running KDE4).
This will prevent inadvertently running kde3.x executables in 4.x.

> There has been some discussion on the list concerning the usability of
KDE4. FWIW, it worked for me but I am not a KDE person anyway (and have
only used 3.X a couple of times) and don't need most of the features of
such a desktop. YMMV.

That is fantastic, thanks.

Andy