what is your programming language on freebsd?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Nov 6 08:35:12 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 12:10:41AM +0800, Foo JH wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Earlier I was asking for some help getting XSP/ mod_mono on FreeBSD. I
> may be asking in the wrong mailing list, but my impression is that mono
> on FreeBSD is generally not a popular idea.
>
> To pose my questions to the developers in the FreeBSD community:
> 1. What programming language(s) do you deploy on FreeBSD?
> 2. Is FreeBSD more optimised in performance for any particular language?
> 3. Is FreeBSD even a popular choice as a development platform, or is it
> better suited as a special-purpose OS (eg. mail server, DNS server)?

FreeBSD suppports just about any programming language that has
been created.     If you go to /usr/ports/lang/   you will see
a large list of them that you can install.

As for the most common, well, C and C++, Shells such as SH, CSH/TCSH
and Perl are very common, plus in conjunction with web servers such
as Apache, PHP, Python, Ruby and a number of others are common.
If you are doing number crunching, you can use FORTRAN and if you
are in to historical business environments, there is even Cobol.

As for being optimized for a language, it is more likely the other
way around.  Are there any languages that have good optimization
for running on FreeBSD.   Maybe.   Someone else may know more about
that, than I do.

////jerry