FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon May 12 21:30:06 UTC 2008

DAve wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> It might be reasonable to try hyperthreading enabled, as your type of
>> load might be improved by it on....
>>

> Funny that, enabling hyperthreading immediately dropped my load by half,
> I see CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3 now in top. I also see my CPU load
> reporting correctly as well. I see ranges from 10% idle to 80% idle, not
> locked at 50% and above.
>
> That seems to have cured several ills. I will know more Monday at 8:30am
> when the business email traffic kicks in.
>
> DAve

Just a quick note, we survived the day in good form. The servers have
dropped their load numbers by 50% under a heavy load and by 80% under a
normal load. More importantly, Nagios shows that SMTP is always
responding and the load balancers are now showing a max of 34 active
connections on each server where before they were showing 350+.
Connections are opening and closing far far quicker.

machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1 has been added to /etc/sysctl.conf

On a related note, I met Chuck back in 1999 in Seattle at a SeaFug
meeting. I doubt he remembers me but he and John Polstra coached me
through changing from a Mac Admin to a BSD admin. I've read Chuck's
posts on multiple maillists that we both have, or do, share
subscriptions to. Chuck, you are always helpful, never mean, and you
encourage detective work to identify a problem rather than recite the
"upgrade" mantra. Your knowledge has helped countless people over the
years, including me. I appreciate that.

If you have a wish list, I can't find it. I would sure like to buy you a
CD or something since I can't buy you a beer.

Thank you for your time, thanks to everyone on the list for their time.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with