FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri May 9 18:29:16 UTC 2008

> software was upgraded as well which consists of MailScanner and Sendmail.
> Both had been keep up to date so it was not a jump in required resources.
>
> The issue I am seeing is that my server load, under the same traffic load,
> has increased 4 times or more. Where previously we saw a high load on the
> servers of 5 to 8, we are now seeing 14 to 17. Since the upgrade Sendmail has
> begun to timeout connections.

do you feel that system goes slower?
i think it's just the matter of calculation method - 6.* may calculate it
different way.

just change in your sendmail config the values in place of xx

define(`confQUEUE_LA', `xx')
define(`confREFUSE_LA', `xx')

as just accepting mail isn't a problem i set confREFUSE_LA very high