Installing FreeBSD remotely via serial console

Simon Chang simonychang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:13:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

>  Not sure whether Dell hardware has any special management features, but on
>  generic server hardware, I always make sure BIOS console redirection is
>  enabled (gives you BIOS access), and that it's set to stop redirecting once
>  the OS boots.

If it is one of the newer Dells, there is a feature called Remote
Access Server that is built-in and has a special Ethernet port for it
(the symbol above the physical port is that of a wrench).  Read the
documentation, but I believe it will get you BIOS messages, etc.

What model of Dell server is it?

SC