Installing FreeBSD remotely via serial console

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Wed Mar 5 14:08:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:13:21PM -0500, Simon Chang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >  Not sure whether Dell hardware has any special management features, but on
> >  generic server hardware, I always make sure BIOS console redirection is
> >  enabled (gives you BIOS access), and that it's set to stop redirecting once
> >  the OS boots.
>
> If it is one of the newer Dells, there is a feature called Remote
> Access Server that is built-in and has a special Ethernet port for it
> (the symbol above the physical port is that of a wrench).  Read the
> documentation, but I believe it will get you BIOS messages, etc.
>
> What model of Dell server is it?

I think it's the PowerEdge 1950, though oddly it doesn't say
on my invoice. In any case, it does have the Remote Access
Card, so I'm going to look through the docs on this and see if
this is the right way to go.

Thanks to everyone who replied on this; will report on how the
install goes.

Jesse Sheidlower