df: negative "Used" and "Capacity" -- file system corruption?

Mark B. mkbucc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:54:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

FreeBSD 7, AMD64.

$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1d    2.9G    -67M    2.7G    -2%    /var/www

$ mount
/dev/da0s1d on /var/www (ufs, local, soft-updates)
$

I found an email thread from 2006 where Suleiman Souhlal says the
culprit was a stale cylinder group [1].

Any ideas on what's going on?  I'm concerned there is a hardware problem.

The only hardware messages I've ever seen are:  ciss0: *** SCSI bus
speed downshifted, SCSI port 2, and I got that message only twice
twice in over six months.

There was a bug report [2], but it was closed after telling user to
"fsck -f".  (Which I will do tomorrow morning.)

Thanks,

[1] http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-stable&m=111837454806848&w=2
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=92432&cat=