hw.snd.pcm0.vchans does not exist under 7.0-release

Yuri Pankov yuri.pankov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:03:49 UTC 2008

On 6/18/2008 9:49 PM, Aline de Freitas wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> In the 6.x series we could set hw.snd.pcm.vchans to 4 in order to have four
> sound virtual channels. But under 7.0 it does not exist.
>
> I've found dev.pcm.0.play.vchans which I did set to 4 but still I have
> only /dev/dsp0.0. Does anyone knows how to deal with it under 7.x series?
>
> Thanks,

Sorry for RTFM-style answer, but please read pcm(4) manpage :). Quote:

dev.pcm.%d.[play|rec].vchans
            The current number of VCHANs allocated
            per device.  This can be set to preal-
            locate a certain number of VCHANs.
            Setting this value to ``0'' will dis-
            able VCHANs for this device.

20061126 entry in /usr/src/UPDATING also mentions this change.

HTH,
Yuri