OT: lots of IPv6 DNS requests

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Jun 10 23:01:49 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>>> no it is not! that's why i'm asking.
>>
>> Oh, for heaven's sake.  We all know you like to shoot off your mouth.
>> Now go back to my mail and read it ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE YOU
>> ANSWER AGAIN. Jeez.
>>
> so maybe you should explain clearer because i do read what you write.
>
> my computer isn't 2001:4070:101::1 nor 2001:4070:101:1::2

Understood; I already answered that question in the negative in my
original e-mail in the part you trimmed out.

Your computer is at 2001:4070:101:2::1, just like I said.

As a bonus I told you which parent to your DNS zone is handing out a
glue record for which nameserver with that address in it.

Get in touch with the people who run that nameserver and ask them,
pretty please, to make the delegation records for your zone look just
like the records at the other parent nameservers.

Really, go read my entire original message.  All the way to the end.
Actually look at all the IP addresses.  Particularly the one from my log
messages which I remark on with a "Hmmm...different IP address."

Also realize, please, given your track record of telling people that
what they're saying on this list is "nonsense" and "just marketing hype"
and on and on, it really is rather strange for you to expect somebody to
answer your beginner-level questions in nice, easy, beginner-level
steps.  Mind, I have no problem with your asking the question.  Lord
knows that I come up with some dumb questions of my own sometimes.  But
you do set yourself up as the all knowing expert on just about
everything, so don't be surprised if people expect you to have some clue
about what you're doing and capable of figuring out what dig output with
the bad records in it means.

Nameservers are hitting an address of yours.  Therefore something is
probably handing out your address.  Somebody (that would be me) has
looked up the address in question and even looked up the nameserver
which is handing out that address in a glue record.  All you do is get
petulant about how the answer to what turns out to be a rhetorical
question is, "no."  D'oh; which I certainly hope translates properly.

--Jon Radel