own OS-Name

OutBackDingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:08:30 UTC 2008

Take this advice very seriously from someone who has already
done this effectively, you wount be able to accomplish this
yourself, it will take months, and more then just a few good c
coders to accomplish. its really a bad idea for what little you
gain versus the amount of work involved.

On Thursday 31 July 2008 18:55:15 Bill Moran wrote:
> > I will create my own *BSD OS based on FreeBSD.
> > How can I change the Name of this OS ?
> > I mean, that in Logfiles, for example, of servers, which I
connect by
> > sufing in the web and in application which locate the OS
instead
> > "FREEBSD" an another OS-Name "MyOS-Name" will be
displayed.

> In addition to Giorgos' answer, there are tools, such as
nmap, that
> identify the OS by it's behaviour and not by any string that
appears
> anywhere.  In order to convince those tools that your OS is
not
> FreeBSD, you'll have to alter the IP code to cause it to
behave in
> a manner that is unique.  Good luck doing _that_ without
breaking