own OS-Name

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jul 31 11:55:18 UTC 2008

> I will create my own *BSD OS based on FreeBSD.
> How can I change the Name of this OS ?
> I mean, that in Logfiles, for example, of servers, which I connect by
> sufing in the web and in application which locate the OS instead
> "FREEBSD" an another OS-Name "MyOS-Name" will be displayed.

In addition to Giorgos' answer, there are tools, such as nmap, that
identify the OS by it's behaviour and not by any string that appears
anywhere.  In order to convince those tools that your OS is not
FreeBSD, you'll have to alter the IP code to cause it to behave in
a manner that is unique.  Good luck doing _that_ without breaking
things.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com