why is this script failing?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Jul 16 23:03:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:42:13PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:02:24PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> >	I am not sure why these players store the  song in wav format
> >	without deleting the files, but when my limited /tmp is full,
> >	certain aps fail mysteriously.  with a fwdozen more line of code
> >	they could at least fail more gracefully.
>
> You might consider adding something like
>
> setenv  TMPDIR  /home/dkelly/tmp
> setenv  TMP     /home/dkelly/tmp
>
> to your ~/.cshrc (or whatever appropriate for the shell you are
> using). This moves "/tmp" for cooperative applications into private
> space where you might have more room. Of course KDE is probably
> starting via a different route. Or maybe not.

	what i  should probably do is make extract ktts or amarok and
	look for /tmp/kde-[usr]/* and se WHY these wav files are ever
	kept.  for kttsd, yeah, it makes going back several lines
	easier.  that may explain why i have found "{garbage}wav{garbage}"
	where {garbage} is several alpha-numbering.   no dots, no
	hyphens.  or files ending in *wav.part"

	this may be a historical leftover from when memory was very
	pricey and disk-space much cheaper.  [[ guessing ]]

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix