why is this script failing?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Wed Jul 16 01:42:20 UTC 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:02:24PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
>>
>> Is probably best to postpone wildcard expansion until the last moment
>> because if any of the filenames contain spaces the space will
>> probably
>> cause a break between arguments. The first time the wildcard
>> expands to
>> a filename with a space the space will be escaped. But the second
>> time
>> you use it that escape is lost. So its best to expand it in the place
>> its needed.
>
> 	thanks for this clarification!  until yesterday, whe  you
> 	mmentioned blanks[whitespace], as id a song title, i  hadn't
> 	tought about songs like "Not Ready to Make Nice.ogg" e.g.
> 	I am not sure why these players store the  song in wav format
> 	without deleting the files, but when my limited /tmp is full,
> 	certain aps fail mysteriously.  with a fwdozen more line of code
> 	they could at least fail more gracefully.

You might consider adding something like

setenv  TMPDIR  /home/dkelly/tmp
setenv  TMP     /home/dkelly/tmp

to your ~/.cshrc (or whatever appropriate for the shell you are
using). This moves "/tmp" for cooperative applications into private
space where you might have more room. Of course KDE is probably
starting via a different route. Or maybe not.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net