PACKAGESITE

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Jul 13 08:41:44 UTC 2008

> Did you specify the -r flag?  Without that, the PACKAGESITE
> environment variable is note used ...

No, I didn't, because -- unless I am misunderstanding the description
of the -r flag -- that will cause pkg_add to look *only* on the FTP
site.  I want it to use packages that have already been downloaded,
and use the FTP site only when a needed package is not available
locally.  I'm trying to install an already-downloaded 10MB package
which has quite a few dependencies, several of which were already
fetched during a previous attempt.

IOW I want the equivalent of specifying the current directory,
followed by the FTP site, in PKG_PATH; but the colon in the URL
messes that up by looking like a pathname separator. If I tried
something like

setenv PKG_PATH .:ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/

it would look first in the current directory, then in a subdirectory
named ftp, and finally in a directory named //ftp.freebsd.org/...