PACKAGESITE

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Sun Jul 13 06:59:06 UTC 2008

perryh at pluto.rain.com <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:

> Can someone provide a correct example of setting PACKAGESITE so that
> pkg_add will find the 7-stable packages for i386?  I have tried
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/Latest/
>
> as shown in the handbook, and also:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable
>
> and all have failed.  I get messages like
>
> pkg_add: could not find package expat-2.0.1 !
> pkg_add: could not find package png-1.2.28 !
> pkg_add: could not find package pkg-config-0.23_1 !
>
> etc.  Even specifying -v does not cause pkg_add to show exactly

[...]

Did you specify the -r flag?  Without that, the PACKAGESITE environment
variable is note used.  From the ENVIRONMENT section of pkg_add(1):

 The environment variable PACKAGESITE specifies an alternate location for
 pkg_add to fetch from.  This variable subverts the automatic directory
 logic that pkg_add uses when the -r option is invoked.  Thus it should
 be a complete URL to the remote package file(s).

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>