Using freebsd-update after upgrading from source

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Wed Jul 2 04:50:23 UTC 2008

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > >I have been updating 6.2-RELEASE with freebsd-update. Recently I
> > >upgraded it to RELENG_6_3 from source. Can I continue using
> > >freebsd-update or must I upgrade only from source from now on?
> > >

> > I don't see why not.
>
> I was wondering if freebsd-update will break if my binaries happen to
> be different from those in the official release.

I conducted another experiment:
cp /bin/ls /usr/lib/libssh.so.2
apply freebsd-update fetch install

And freebsd-update did replace the bogus /usr/lib/libssh.so.2.
So I can conclude that it WILL replace modified files (unless they are
listed in UpdateIfUnmodified).

I have not yet understood freebsd-update.sh well enough to figure out
how it finds modified files. However, it seems safe to be used after a
buildworld.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru