Using freebsd-update after upgrading from source

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Jul 1 05:57:54 UTC 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> >I have been updating 6.2-RELEASE with freebsd-update. Recently I
> >upgraded it to RELENG_6_3 from source. Can I continue using
> >freebsd-update or must I upgrade only from source from now on?
> >

> I don't see why not.

I was wondering if freebsd-update will break if my binaries happen to
be different from those in the official release.

> freebsd-update will download binary updates to the
> system as well as the relevant sources for them (look at
> /etc/freebsd-update.conf to verify).

I don't update sources with freebsd-update. I mount them from an NFS
server running cvsup.

> >I conducted an experiment and got inconclusive results. I had upgraded
> >to RELENG_6_3-p2 where the problems with libpthread and ssh are
> >already fixed. However, when I ran freebsd-update, it did replace
> >libpthread and libssh. It also replaced the kernel, downgrading it
> >from 6.3-RELEASE-p2 to 6.3-RELEASE-p1!
> >

> Don't be so sure. If you are running a GENERIC kernel, freebsd-update
> simply downloaded the latest. If -p2 did not have any kernel updates (it
> did not IIRC) you got the kernel for -p1.  The fact it replaced your
> GENERIC (which had a -p2 deisgnation in uname) is probably because this
> was compiled on your system so freebsd-update did not recognize the
> version. These two should be functionally identical. In fact if you just
> recompile the kernel now, it will report -p2

If i recompile GENERIC now, freebsd-update will suggest updating
it again and again

P.S. I know that freebsd-update will leave the kernel alone if
"uname -i" is not GENERIC|SMP, but my question is more generic.
How well can freebsd-update handle a system compiled from source?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru