RELENG_7 versus RELENG_7_0, latter is newer?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Feb 24 14:04:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:16:04PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> I expected RELENG_7 to have newer files than RELENG_7_0 as the latter
> tracks a release whilst the former tracks CURRENT/STABLE whichever it
> currently is.
>
> However I noticed 2 things.
>
> 1 - RELENG_7_0 in newvers.sh shows 7.0-RELEASE whilst RELENG_7 shows PRERELEASE.

Yes, it is supposed to be that way.  RELENG_7 will continue to show
-PRERELEASE until after 7.0-RELEASE is out, at which point it will switch to
show -STABLE.

> 2 - RELENG_7_0 has higher version numbers than RELENG_7 on the src
> files and config files for mergemaster.

Considering that almost all changes to RELENG_7_0 are first applied to
RELENG_7 before being applied to the (newer) RELENG_7_0 branch
this is not surprising.  Note also that the revision numbers that CVS
assigns to each revision of a file depends heavily on which branch
the file comes from, and which revision that branch is derived from.
Higher number does not necessarily imply newer file.

> Given this information is it the case RELENG_7 has simply stopped been
> updated? possibly even a fault on the cvsup servers I have been using.

Unlikely.

> /usr/src/UPDATING both have the 7.0-RELEASE line however.
>
> example below
>
> RELENG_7_0
> FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/sysinstall.h,v 1.274.4.1
>
> RELENG_7
> FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/sysinstall.h,v 1.274.2.1

Looks just fine to me.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson