Configuring mod_jk for Apache and Tomcat

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Tue Feb 19 00:57:14 UTC 2008

I'm trying to setup a tomcat server using Apache as the frontend. As
usual, I'm having trouble (which is why I haven't bothered before, and
given Tomcat apps a wide berth). Can someone let me know where I'm going
wrong? I have setup inclusions in the httpd.conf file to use similar
settings to other modules, etc. Therefore my worker.properties and
mod_jk.conf is under /extras.

I know something works because they are reflected when I navigate
to /webapps on the Apache server.

mod_jk.conf:
# Replace jsp-hostname with the hostname of your JSP server, as
# specified in workers.properties.
#
<IfModule mod_jk.c>
        JkWorkersFile etc/apache22/extra/workers.properties
        JkLogFile  /var/log/jk.log
        JkShmFile  /var/log/jk-runtime-status
        JkLogLevel error

        # Sample JkMounts.  Replace these with the paths you would
        # like to mount from your JSP server.
        JkMount /*.jsp localhost
        JkMount /servlet/* localhost
        JkMount /examples/* localhost
</IfModule>

# Map encoded urls
<Location *;jsessionid=>
        SetHandler jakarta-servlet
</Location>

# Map subdirectory
<Location /webapps/>
        SetHandler jakarta-servlet
</Location>

workers.properties:
# Incredibly simple workers.properties file, intended for connecting
# to one host, via AJP13.  See the tomcat documentation for
# information on more exotic configuration options.
#
# Change jsp-hostname to the hostname of your JSP server.
#
worker.list=localhost
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/apache-tomcat6.0
workers.java_home=/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0
worker.localhost.port=8009
worker.localhost.host=localhost
worker.localhost.type=ajp13
worker.localhost.lbfactor=1

I figured I didn't need to worry about the setenv variable as I'm only
testing currently and only need one connector atm.

Any ideas why I shouldn't be seeing the index.jsp found in the Tomcat
directories?

I also tried navigating directly using port 8009 with no result either
(And yes, Tomcat has been started- I checked the port using nmap).