[Request] HOWTO build LDAP server for shared address book.

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Feb 12 17:19:29 UTC 2008

Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have never worked with LDAP but I would like to install an LDAP
> server on my server and share my address book on it between all the
> programs I used daily, I searched a lot on google but I couldn't find
> anything except the one on ubuntu[1] which I'm not sure it'll work...
>
> Could someone please help me building this address book, I really need
> it but I have no idea how to do it on my own...

LDAP, despite the Lightweight part, is not that easy to understand first
time, it took me quite some time before I finally got hand of it. There
is a book from O'Reily on the topic.

One thing I found for an address book, is that you should make sure all
contacts have:

objectClass: person
objectClass: extensibleObject

The first sets some minimum for the entries, they must be persons. The
second means that you can add anything you like. Otherwise you will be
restricted in your choice of attributes depending on how object classes
nest.

In my case, I have friends on three continents, and I like to have their
address with country specified.

I can't do that when the extensibleObject is missing, because person or
inetOrgPerson assumes a hierarchy with country on the top, and that just
doesn't make sense in my case: Then I have to search differently
according to country. I need all on the same branch. extensibleObject
solves that, now I can add the country attribute for each, as well as
preferred language etc...

Cheers, Erik

--
Erik Nørgaard