Error in the Handbook

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Feb 12 11:51:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:58:33 +0200 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 > On 2008-02-11 21:01, Peter Rosa <prosa at pro.sk> wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > there is an error in the handbook, section 28.6.5.7 An Example NAT and
 > > Stateful Ruleset.
 > >
 > > On the bottom are two examples, 1st with command:
 > > $cmd 420 allow tcp from any to me 80 in via $pif setup limit src-addr 1
 > >
 > > and second with command
 > > $cmd 370 allow tcp from any to me 80 in via $pif setup limit src-addr 2
 > >
 > > Both commands should look ".... in via $pif setup keep-state limit ...."
 >
 > This is probably true.  Can you file a `problem report', so this isn't
 > get lost in the noise of mailing lists?  If not, I can do it and take
 > care of checking the section, fixing the text, and getting it committed.

This is unfortunately[1] false :)  keep-state and limit are both forms
of specifying dynamic rules.  limit implies keep-state, which is the
unlimited form.  Does it hurt to add keep-state to limit?  Let's try:

paqi# ipfw add 30000 allow tcp from any to me 80 in via dc0 setup limit src-addr 1
30000 allow tcp from any to me dst-port 80 in via dc0 setup limit src-addr 1
paqi# ipfw add 30001 allow tcp from any to me 80 in via dc0 setup keep-state limit src-addr 1
ipfw: only one of keep-state and limit is allowed

 > Thank you for carefully reading the text, and most of all for taking the
 > time to report this.

[1] Not at all wishing to discourage anyone from reviewing and patching
docs, but it's best to prove the theory before firing up send-pr ..

cheers, Ian