what happened to linuxflashplugin?

Erik Osterholm freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org
Mon Feb 11 21:14:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:04:09PM +0200, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2008 22:26, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > All you folks who are focussing on YouTube are (purposefully?  I
> > don't know) the fact that with just about half of the entire Web
> > using flash in one way or antoehr, not using Flash is a huge
> > problem, as anyone who browses without a flashplayer knows.
>
> Just to provide a counterpoint to this sweeping generalisation, I
> browse without a Flash player and it's never caused me any problem
> at all.

Usually I browse with NoScript, which blocks both Javascript and
plugins.

> There are a few sites which don't work without Flash. Having checked on a
> number of occasions, I've found (and I stress this is a personal opinion)
> that heavy use of Flash is a fairly reliable marker of a site I wouldn't be
> interested in whatever publishing techniques were used.

Flash is almost the de facto standard for video in the browser,
because most desktop users have it, it doesn't require much in the way
of configuration, and you don't have to worry about codecs.  Nine
times out of ten, if a site I wish to use requires Flash, it's to
stream video.  The rest of the time, I usually do just fine without it.

> In short, I think ``half of the entire Web using Flash'' may be a bit of an
> overstatement even if you count Flash ad banners (which frankly I can do
> without), and the small number of Flash-only sites I encounter hasn't caused
> me temporary inconvenience, never mind ``a huge problem''.

Lots of sites use Flash, but most don't /require/ it.

> Jonathan

Erik