what happened to linuxflashplugin?

Jonathan McKeown jonathan+freebsd-questions at hst.org.za
Mon Feb 11 21:03:44 UTC 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 22:26, Chuck Robey wrote:
> All you folks who are focussing on YouTube are (purposefully?  I don't
> know) the fact that with just about half of the entire Web using flash in
> one way or antoehr, not using Flash is a huge problem, as anyone who
> browses without a flashplayer knows.

Just to provide a counterpoint to this sweeping generalisation, I browse
without a Flash player and it's never caused me any problem at all.

There are a few sites which don't work without Flash. Having checked on a
number of occasions, I've found (and I stress this is a personal opinion)
that heavy use of Flash is a fairly reliable marker of a site I wouldn't be
interested in whatever publishing techniques were used.

It's rather like the old saying in the British advertising industry: only sing
in an ad if you have nothing to say.

How does Flash fit in with accessibility guidelines? In many countries, a
commercial site which doesn't degrade gracefully when viewed with (eg) Lynx
may fall foul of legislation protecting people with disabilities such as
visual impairment.

In short, I think ``half of the entire Web using Flash'' may be a bit of an
overstatement even if you count Flash ad banners (which frankly I can do
without), and the small number of Flash-only sites I encounter hasn't caused
me temporary inconvenience, never mind ``a huge problem''.

Jonathan