xorg default configuration location

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Tue Feb 5 11:57:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:52:36 +0100
herbert langhans <herbert.raimund at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I just checked on a clean bsd 6.3 and locate shows no xorg.conf.
> Maybe invoke:
> # xorgconfig
> and see where it dumps the file.
>
> Cheers
> herbs

As another poster mentioned, I think the whole idea behind Xorg 7.3 is
that there is _no_ xorg.conf by default and, often times, it is never
needed.  Xorg now tries to autodetect your hardware and configure a
working setup on the fly with no xorg.conf.  This autodetection usually
works well; if it doesn't, go through the traditional steps of creating
an xorg.conf manually and move it to /etc/X11.

So, on a clean install with Xorg 7.3 there will be no xorg.conf file
yet 'startx' might work in many cases due to this new autodetection and autoconfiguration.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3