Green saver doesn't shut off screen

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Mon Feb 4 19:08:19 UTC 2008

With some graphic cards, the "green" screen saver doesn't shut down
my flatscreen.

Since I had some trouble finding one properly supported by X.org,
I've tried different graphic cards over the last few days.  DPMS
mode in X11 is fine, but without X11, the "green" syscons screen
saver doesn't work as expected.  Both with a GeForce 6200LE and a
Radeon X300SE (RV370) card, the screen is blanked, i.e., all black,
but _not_ powered off.  With a Matrox G450, the green saver works
as expected, though; the monitor powers down into standby mode.
All cards connected by DVI.

Is anybody else annoyed by this?
Is this a bug or are new graphics cards not sufficiently VGA-compatible
any longer for the green saver to work?

(Seen on 8.0-CURRENT/amd64, but I doubt that makes any difference.)
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de