changing bzip2 in default distribution?

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Mon Feb 4 22:35:08 UTC 2008

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2008 23:04:57 schrieb Wojciech Puchar:
> why bzip2 is still used.
>
> grzip from ports (archivers/grzip) is much faster and compresses much
> better and it's not GNU licenced

bzip2 isn't GNU licensed, just to get things straight (straight from
www.bzip.org):

"""...because it's open-source (BSD-style license), and, as far as I know,
patent-free. (To the best of my knowledge. I can't afford to do a full patent
search, so I can't guarantee this. Caveat emptor). So you can use it for
whatever you like. Naturally, the source code is part of the distribution."""

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development