SOLVED: Simple swap question

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri Dec 19 16:00:54 UTC 2008

>> ////jerry
>>

> Because this server is monitored by Nagios and it emails me every hour a
> warning because the swap is not 100% free (I know it's pretty extreme, but I
> want to know if the system is swapping).
>
> I just tried
>
> swapoff -a ; swapon -a
>
> and it worked great.

under completely normal operation when programs fit in real memory
swapping CAN occur because of file caching.

while programs have priority over file cache in memory, long-unused parts
of system can be swapped out.

i don't know what's nagios, but configure it to warn you not because there
are swap used, but if there is more than a little swapping activity.