SOLVED: Simple swap question

Tom Worster fsb at thefsb.org
Fri Dec 19 17:32:43 UTC 2008

On 12/19/08 10:37 AM, "FreeBSD" <freebsd at optiksecurite.com> wrote:

> Because this server is monitored by Nagios and it emails me every hour a
> warning because the swap is not 100% free (I know it's pretty extreme,
> but I want to know if the system is swapping).

if a swap space is available and swapping not turned off, it seems
reasonable to expect the OS to use it as it sees fit.

rather than trying to tinker with the kernel's swapping policy on the fly
every time you get a warning, perhaps think about either telling nagios not
to worry about it or don't use swapping. i'd go with the former. but you say
you want to ensure that swap doesn't get used -- so maybe get rid of the
swap slice?