FreeBSD 7.0 install on Acer Aspire AM1640-U1401A

Joseph Olatt joji at eskimo.com
Sun Aug 17 02:05:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 08:18:07PM -0500, Edwin L. Culp wrote:
> Joseph Olatt <joji at eskimo.com> escribió:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have tried installing the following versions of FreeBSD:
> >     - 7.0 Release
> >     - 6.2 Release
> >     - 6.1 Release
> >
> > on an ACER Aspire AM1640-U1401A computer and the install program is not
> > detecting the SATA hard drive.
>
> You are installing from a cdrom, I assume.  Do you get to the installer menu?

Yes, I'm installing from cdrom. I get the installer to come up. I'm able
to specify the Country and all and get to the part where the disk is to
be partitioned when I get a message like the following:

"No disks found! ...."

> I have installed i386 Current, amd64 current and amd64 Release on my
> Acer Aspire 5520-5679 and the only problem that I had was that it
> could not bring up the installer and after consulting the list found
> that by pressing the space bar many times it would come up.  Once
> installed all is great.  Everything but the Crystal Eye Camara works.
>
> If yours seems to be locking up, try the space key.  IIRC, press it
> until it starts to beep, rebelliously.
>
> ed

I was getting lock-ups. I solved that by going into the BIOS and
disabling "Legacy USB Support".

Thanks for responding.

regards,
joseph