Video streaming with freeBSD

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Aug 11 18:46:25 UTC 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
>> Some year back I was meddling around with VLC (videolan) that does
>> a pretty
>> good job of the streaming part. There was issues with threads at
>> the time so
>> I let it rest though.
>
> Do you have any Idea, how much bandwidth it takes to stream HDTV
> 1080i via VLC
> I am assuming a T1 would not be enough upstream, unless you can buffer
> with something like a 5 min lag.

1080i uncompressed requires 37MHz of video bandwidth; using MPEG2/H.
262 or better yet MPEG4/H.264 you can usually fit into about 3Mhz of
bandwidth.  If you had to packetize this and transmit over an IP
network, you'd need about 70Mbs for uncompressed (or half an OC3), or
about 6Mbs (ie, four T1's, or about a 20% of a full T3) compressed.

Regards,
--
-Chuck