Problem with reconnecting ppp (ppp -ddial isp)

Ivan Toman ivtoman at inet.hr
Tue Apr 29 06:17:56 UTC 2008

   cpghost wrote:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:12:11 +0200
Ivan Toman [1]<ivtoman at inet.hr> wrote:

First problem get when ISP disconnect me after 24 hours due to IP
change. Link does not properly get reconnected. ppp tries to connect,
and appearenty is connected, but something is wrong because no
traffic is possible and after few seconds ppp goes down and
reconnects again. And again and again.... Strange above all is that
during reconnecting routing table always has default route, but ping
does not go. Next, I will put some information that I think is
relevant to problem, but it seems to me, not very useful in debugging
this.

I don't know if it's exactly the same problem, but I've had a similar
problem with userland ppp and even submitted logfiles of forced
disconnects. I thought the problem was with ng_pppoe, but apparently,
it is with ppp(8). Unfortunately, ppp's maintainer didn't reply or
chime in, and the problem is obviously still lingering there, deep
inside ppp or between ppp and ng_pppoe. :( The thread started here:

[2]http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-December/038874.html

You may not have hit the very same bug, but the circumstances are
pretty much similar. Someone really ought to have a look at ppp.

Fortunately, with the help from Alexander and Julian, I've switched
to net/mpd5, and didn't encounter any problems with this 24h forced
ADSL disconnect ever since (running RELENG_7 now). Just give it a
try: you'll like it!

I'm now using the following /usr/local/etc/mpd5/mpd.conf:

   Hello dear cpghost, thanks for answer!
   I don't know why but it seems that some messages sent to mailing list
   does not appear imediately (in fact, I sent yesterday one that is not
   even now there as reply to Patrick Lamaizière's post).
   In that reply I stated that i managed to use that mpd client instead
   of ppp and it works great! I found no case when it hangs, so for now I
   can tell the problem is "solved". Just, couldn't find way to configure
   mpd5, it seems it does not have same rules for conf file as mpd4 that
   I setup to work for me. Now with your example, I will probably try to
   upgrade to mpd5, thanks.
   Yes it does look to me as ppp bug, or in something closely related to
   ppp. If somebody want to go deeper into this I can send more findings
   of myself, but for me, mpd will go on from now.
   Thanks all!
   (hope message will appear on mailing list)
   Ivan