Problem with reconnecting ppp (ppp -ddial isp)

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Apr 28 22:11:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:12:11 +0200
Ivan Toman <ivtoman at inet.hr> wrote:

> First problem get when ISP disconnect me after 24 hours due to IP
> change. Link does not properly get reconnected. ppp tries to connect,
> and appearenty is connected, but something is wrong because no
> traffic is possible and after few seconds ppp goes down and
> reconnects again. And again and again.... Strange above all is that
> during reconnecting routing table always has default route, but ping
> does not go. Next, I will put some information that I think is
> relevant to problem, but it seems to me, not very useful in debugging
> this.

I don't know if it's exactly the same problem, but I've had a similar
problem with userland ppp and even submitted logfiles of forced
disconnects. I thought the problem was with ng_pppoe, but apparently,
it is with ppp(8). Unfortunately, ppp's maintainer didn't reply or
chime in, and the problem is obviously still lingering there, deep
inside ppp or between ppp and ng_pppoe. :( The thread started here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-December/038874.html

You may not have hit the very same bug, but the circumstances are
pretty much similar. Someone really ought to have a look at ppp.

Fortunately, with the help from Alexander and Julian, I've switched
to net/mpd5, and didn't encounter any problems with this 24h forced
ADSL disconnect ever since (running RELENG_7 now). Just give it a
try: you'll like it!

I'm now using the following /usr/local/etc/mpd5/mpd.conf:

--------------- /usr/local/etc/mpd5/mpd.conf ----------------------
startup:
        # configure users
        set user mpd XXXXXXXXXX
        # configure the console
        set console self 127.0.0.1 5005
        set console user mpd
        set console open
        # configure the web server
        set web self 192.168.254.1 5006
        set web user mpd
        set web open

default:
        load pppoe_client

pppoe_client:
        create bundle static B1
        set iface route default
        set iface enable nat
        set ipcp ranges 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
        set ipcp disable vjcomp

        create link static L1 pppoe
        set link action bundle B1
        set auth authname "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
        set auth password "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
        set link max-redial 0
        set link mtu 1460
        set link mru 1460