freeze and crashes

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:12:01 UTC 2008

Hi Alain:

Without more details its hard to understand where your hang or freeze
is coming from.  What I DO suggest is that you build a debug kernel
and/or minimally enable the kernel debugger (DDB).  Then when the box
is frozen you can get into the debugger (CTRL-ALT-ESC), type "bt", and
post it on the list to give everybody a chance to understand what is
hanging ("show msgbuf" as well actually).

Here is some good documentation on how to build kernels (and debug
ones) if you don't already know:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Generally speaking I would enable in my KERNCONF file (GENERIC, etc.
under src/sys/<arch>/conf/)

# Turn off debugging symbols
makeoptions	DEBUG=-g

# Debugger support
options		KDB
options		DDB
options		KDB_TRACE

If you want to go further, for example you believe this is a locking
issue then you can go whole hog and do:

# Heavy duty debugger options
options	DEBUG_LOCKS
options	INVARIANTS
options	INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options	WITNESS
options	WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

Be warned that the kernel.debug KO (kernel object) will run a lot
slower than a stock non-debug kernel (the extra metadata the kernel is
keeping track off etc.) so there are instances where running a debug
kernels could make a timing bug disappear or appear more/less
frequently.  In any event, if the problem is easily reproducible, I
whole-heartily recommend you minimally enable KDB/DDB support so you
can dump things on the appropriate list AS WELL AS build a complete
debug kernel that may catch the issue (you will see console messages
including lock order reversals and other nastiness).

Here is some good documentation about kernel debugging:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Let us know how things go,

-aps

PS Make sure that new disk is good!