freeze and crashes

Alain G. Fabry alainfabry at belgacom.net
Fri Apr 25 13:05:53 UTC 2008

Have a issue here. I've been running FreeBSD 6.3 release for about 6 months now without problem. Then last week I purchase another external HD and installed release 7.0.
Everything went great for about 3 weeks. Then suddenly my 7.0 started to crash (kde freezing, sudden reboots, etc). The first time happened when I was performing a portsnap on a FreeBSD Qemu session. It came up to the point where this 7.0 installation wasn't workable anymore.

Since I need to work to earn money as the rest of us, I fell back to my 6.3 release external HD -> copied over my data files and now I'm starting to get the same symthoms.

Input/output errors, reboot when performing a simple 'man something'. -> could this be a virus or something?

I'm not sure how or what I can do to find out what could be the cause of this problem?

Is there anywhere I can find out more about debugging such strange behavior. (everything works fine and then suddenly it freezes permanently or just reboots on its own)

Thanks,

PS: I'm about to reinstall the 7.0 release and hope that that will work normal again.

Alain