Pkg_info corrupt for some packages

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun Apr 13 21:02:05 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 April 2008 11:41:19 Aijaz Baig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well...I tried to cut and paste the command as is by mel (though It would
> have been better if you explained what that cryptic looking command
> actually meant) and I got the followinfg output:
>
> 'grep: /var/db/pkg/xorg-server-1.4_4,1/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory

Well, that explaines it right there. It wasn't installed properly, because
every installed port should have a +CONTENTS file.
You can grab the files from 'pkgdb.db' like Andrew suggested, but I personally
wouldn't trust those if portupgrade was the one that did this in the first
place.
This is where daily backups rock :).

If your /usr/ports/INDEX-6 (or -7) is in sync with your installed packages,
then maybe the following script will work. It worked for me testing it, but I
can't guarentee it will work in all cases.

If you're on FreeBSD 6, change INDEXFILE to /usr/ports/INDEX-6. Rest should
work without changes.

#!/bin/sh

INDEXFILE='/usr/ports/INDEX-7'
for dir in /var/db/pkg/*; do
    if test ! -e ${dir}/+CONTENTS -a -d ${dir}; then
        pkgname=${dir##*pkg/}
        echo "Restoring ${pkgname}"
        IDX=$(grep "^${pkgname}|" ${INDEXFILE} 2>/dev/null)
        if test -z "${IDX}"; then
            echo "Failed: cannot find ${pkgname} in ${INDEXFILE}"
        else
            _origin=${IDX#*|}
            origin=${_origin%%|*}
            echo "---> ${origin}"
            cd ${origin}
            mv ${dir} /tmp/
            make -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER generate-plist fake-pkg
            for file in /tmp/${pkgname}/*; do
                f=${file##*/}
                if test ! -f ${dir}/${f}; then
                    echo "--> Restoring ${pkgname}/${f}"