Invoking ldconfig without arguments wipes all hints and makes me very sad

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri Apr 11 20:13:13 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008 16:42:57 Shelby Cain wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 00:35 +0200, Mel wrote:
> > It translates to "be verbose about restoring factory settings", because
> > without arguments it will restore the built-in set.
>
> Why does "factory settings" not include scanning the built-in system
> library path /usr/lib?  From the man page, it would seem that if I truly
> wanted to remove all runtime information I'd want to run something along
> the lines of ldconfig -s.  Am I misreading something?

It should, otherwise it's a bug in either the manpage or ldconfig.

> Also, under what circumstances does -v actually do something?  I can't
> seem to find a case where -v actually alters the output of ldconfig.

When it does something. For example, if your cache contains libfoo.so.1 and
you installed /usr/local/lib/libfoo.so.2, then ldconfig -vm /usr/local/lib
will print:
Updating libfoo.so.1.0 to /usr/local/lib/libfoo.so.2

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.