Invoking ldconfig without arguments wipes all hints and makes me very sad

Shelby Cain scain at exgenesis.com
Fri Apr 11 14:43:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 00:35 +0200, Mel wrote:

> It translates to "be verbose about restoring factory settings", because
> without arguments it will restore the built-in set.

Why does "factory settings" not include scanning the built-in system
library path /usr/lib?  From the man page, it would seem that if I truly
wanted to remove all runtime information I'd want to run something along
the lines of ldconfig -s.  Am I misreading something?

Also, under what circumstances does -v actually do something?  I can't
seem to find a case where -v actually alters the output of ldconfig.

Regards,

Shelby Cain