is there any way of turning muttrc list into an evolution or other mail alias database?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Sep 21 13:29:19 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:49:48PM +0400, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:

> > > I'll google for it; thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Thanks  to Andrew's posting I did find a few references on how
> > to use abook to create the basics of email addresses for evol.
> > Not enough, tho to let me get very far, tho, so if anybody has
> > a sed script that can put the 'alias', "Name", <email at foo> into
> > evolution format, that would be a help.   Or if any one of you
> > has actually used mutt|elm and abook to do this, I'd be very
> > much in your debt for an example.  I will post on my BSD
> > website.
>
> OK, I had to install evolution to try this, but it works
> flawlessly:
>
> % abook --convert --infile ./.mutt/aliases --informat mutt \
>   --outformat ldif --outfile /tmp/try.ldif
>
> Then go to evo, File->Import->Single file->/tmp/try.ldif
>
> And I'm looking at my address book in evo.

	What  you figured out does indeed work. Thanks very much indeed.
	As abook grows, maybe it will be able to put things into
	different formats.  Altho maybe Evolution will serve well.
	(I finally learned that to save mail you can click and mouse the
	icon to the left and unclick atop whatever directory... .)

	I still like mutt best; fingers only.  No mousing necessary:-)

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix