is there any way of turning muttrc list into an evolution or other mail alias database?

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 20 15:54:53 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:13:55PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:31:53PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > Google says something about evo being able to import ldif files.
> > > Abook can convert mutt's aliases into ldif.
> >

> > I'll google for it; thanks for the tip.
>
> Thanks  to Andrew's posting I did find a few references on how
> to use abook to create the basics of email addresses for evol.
> Not enough, tho to let me get very far, tho, so if anybody has
> a sed script that can put the 'alias', "Name", <email at foo> into
> evolution format, that would be a help.   Or if any one of you
> has actually used mutt|elm and abook to do this, I'd be very
> much in your debt for an example.  I will post on my BSD
> website.

OK, I had to install evolution to try this, but it works
flawlessly:

% abook --convert --infile ./.mutt/aliases --informat mutt \
  --outformat ldif --outfile /tmp/try.ldif

Then go to evo, File->Import->Single file->/tmp/try.ldif

And I'm looking at my address book in evo.