Recent branching of CURRENT

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Fri Oct 12 17:22:38 PDT 2007

Mel wrote:
> On Saturday 13 October 2007 01:15:45 Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Mel wrote:
>>> And RELENG_7 is not considered the 'stable' branch yet, but 8-CURRENT is
>>> just forked for development of entirely new features? I.o.w. do we 2
>>> current or 2 stable branches now?
>> Those are just names, don't worry too much about it.  RELENG_7 will be
>> the start of a new -STABLE branch once it is released.
>
> That is actually what I'm worried about. It means drivers are less likely to
> be MFC'd to RELENG_6 from 7.0-RELEASE onwards - I was hoping that wouldn't
> happen till 7.1.

It's called progress. This is normal. If you need a driver that is
happening in 7- only, then upgrade to 7. RELENG_6 will turn into a
"supported fix branch" or whatever the name is and RELENG_7 is where the
action takes place, just like it has been going on for quite some time
(please correct me if I'm wrong).