Recent branching of CURRENT

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sat Oct 13 07:20:52 PDT 2007

On Saturday 13 October 2007 02:22:31 Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Mel wrote:

> >> Those are just names, don't worry too much about it.  RELENG_7 will be
> >> the start of a new -STABLE branch once it is released.
> >
> > That is actually what I'm worried about. It means drivers are less likely
> > to be MFC'd to RELENG_6 from 7.0-RELEASE onwards - I was hoping that
> > wouldn't happen till 7.1.
>
> It's called progress. This is normal. If you need a driver that is
> happening in 7- only, then upgrade to 7. RELENG_6 will turn into a
> "supported fix branch" or whatever the name is and RELENG_7 is where the
> action takes place, just like it has been going on for quite some time
> (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, 6.0-RELEASE was still on -current. I consider that a good thing, because
many people won't go near a new release till it's got at least one -RELEASE
and that's when the nasty bugs come out to play ;).

Also, as of this writing, x11/nvidia-driver is *still* on compat5x, so those
new video interfaces nvidia wanted can't have been tested enough in the real
world. It would be nice to have that driver in the ports so people (like me)
can test those :).

--
Mel