short Q

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Nov 25 18:51:08 PST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Gelsema, P ((Patrick)) wrote:

> On Sun, November 25, 2007 21:18, Shantanoo Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> On 26-Nov-07, at 1:23 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>>
>>> --On November 23, 2007 9:04:01 PM -0800 jekillen

> head /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server
> #
> # Add the following line to /etc/rc.conf to enable mysql:
> # mysql_enable (bool):  Set to "NO" by default.
> #                       Set it to "YES" to enable MySQL.
> # mysql_limits (bool):  Set to "NO" by default.
> #                       Set it to yes to run `limits -e -U mysql`
> #                       just before mysql starts.
> # mysql_dbdir (str):    Default to "/var/db/mysql"
> #                       Base database directory.
> # mysql_args (str):     Custom additional arguments to be passed
> #                       to mysqld_safe (default empty).
>

> Cheers
>
> Patrick
>

>>> Most ports that have daemons will have startup scripts in /usr/
>>> local/etc/rc.d/.  Most of those scripts will include comments about
>>> what switches are required in /etc/rc.conf to start the daemon.
>>> Look there first for instructions.
>>>
>>> If you look at the mysqld startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
>>> you will notice that it says use msyqld_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
>>
>> I do not have freebsd machine around to verify, but iirc, its
>> 'mysql_enable'
>> and not 'mysqld_enable'.
>>
>> regards,
>> shantanoo

Thank you all for responses.
I did get this straightened out:
It is mysql_enable="YES"
and putting a script named mysql
in the /etc/rc.d directory with the
lines;
#! /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
did the trick. This is what the mysql docs
prescribe for starting the server. Perhaps
that is not the best way to go about it at
system start, but it works.
Thanks again;
Jeff K